How do I install a Digital Certificate onto Windows 7?
There are a number of ways to open the certificate file. If you have the .pfx or .p12 file on your desktop, you can double-click on it as an icon. If you download it from a web application, then most times you have the option to open it as a file before downloading. You can also right-click the file and choose open. Once you have opened the certificate file in one of the ways mentioned, you will bring up the Certificate Import Wizard.
Depending on your security settings with Windows 7, you may be prompted when attempting to open the certificate. This dialogue box may say, A website wants to open web content using this program on your computer
. The name of the Program should say Crypto Shell Extensions
and the publisher should say, Microsoft Windows
. If this is correct, then click on the Allow
button to continue.
- When the Certificate Import Wizard starts, you will see the Welcome Screen (seen below). At this screen, you can click on the Next button.
- Next you will brought to the File to Import screen. By default, the Import Wizard has already selected the location of the file that you are going to install. Click on Next.
- At the next screen, you will be required to enter in your password for the certificate. If you do not know what your password is to your QuoVadis certificate, please contact QuoVadis Support.
- After entering in your password, you will see that you have three check-boxes. These are optional, however you may want to check them depending on if you would like any additional features and security. Please refer to the points below to see what each do:
- Enable strong private key protection - If you check this then every time you try to access your certificate, you will be prompted for a password that is set by you.
- Mark this key as exportable - This will allow you to export your certificate later into a .pfx file. You will be allowed to change the password
- Include all extended properties - Should be checked.
After you have selected your options and you have entered in the password, click on the Next button.
- The next screen will be the Certificate Store selection screen. As you are installing a .p12 or .pfx file, you can leave the default as Automatically select the certificate store based on the type of certificate. Click on Next.
- At the next screen, you will receive a summary of some of the options that you have chosen. When you are ready, click on Finish at the bottom.
- You will then receive a small window that confirms the installation of the certificate. When you are finished, click on the OK button.