How do I generate a CSR on Microsoft IIS 7?
Internet Information Services (IIS) is Microsoft's set of Internet-based services for servers using Microsoft Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista. The process to generate a CSR and install the subsequent SSL is slightly different from prior versions of IIS.
- First, you must open IIS (Internet Information Services) 7.
- Click on Start.
- Go to Administrative Tools.
- Click on Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager from the list.
- In the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager window, click on your server in the Connections pane on the left.
- In the middle pane, double-click on the Server Certificates Icon.
- In the Actions pane to the right, click on the Create Certificate Request... link.
- In the Request Certificate window, enter in the appropriate information into each field. Use the guide below to help you.
Common Name: This will be the Common Name on the certificate. The Common Name is the Host + Domain Name. It looks like “secure.example.com” or “example.com”.
Organization: The legal name of your organization.
Organizational Unit: This field is the name of the department or other group making the request.
City/Locality: The locality field is the city or town name, for example: Hamilton or Stamford.
State/Province: Spell out the state completely; do not abbreviate the parish, state or province name, for example: Pembroke of Connecticut.
Country/region: Use the two-letter code of your country without punctuation, for example: BM or UK or CH.
- Once you have finished entering in the required information, click on the Next button.
- Leave the Cryptographic server provider: as default (Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptographic Provider).
- Select a Bit length of 2048 bit or higher. Click on the Next button.
- At the File Name screen, click on the ... button and specify a location to save the CSR. After saving the CSR, click on the Finish button.
- Browse to the location where you saved your CSR, open it and submit it to QuoVadis.